THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Cicada Hunting!!!

Well, we decided that Finn NEEDED to see Cicadas en mass since they won't be out again until he is graduating high school (*gasp* could such a day ever come?). So, we went Cicada hunting. We started off in our own neighborhood, and were very dismayed to find an abundance of them 3 short blocks from home, but not in our own backyard! We're hoping the rain makes it easier for them to come up, or that they will migrate here. Then we went to Homewood, where there were many husks at the base of trees and plenty of noise, but not many bugs to be seen.

Then, we hit the motherload. Crete. It's Cicadatopia. You take Route 1 (or Chicago St) straight south from Rte 30 or Sauk Trail past South Chicago Heights and Steger until you get to Crete. Not long after you get into town, there will be a park on your right, and you can park in the lot of the preschool and walk there easily. Not only was it a beautiful park with two pavilions, a gazebo, a monument, and plenty of lush green grass, but it was positively flooded with Cicadas! There were just thousands of them, and the noise was deafening-- we almost had to yell to hear each other talk. It was loud as a lawnmower, and quite a humbling, life-affirming experience. I suggest you all check it out. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen-- and I thought it was going to be gross. Tom had to drag me.

Finn loved the noise and was also quite enamered of the critters, themselves. I've posted a few pics of him trying to grab them, and some of their vast numbers on tree trunks, and husks under trees and on leaves and the such. Let me know if you want to take a Cicada field trip-- I'd love to do it again.


I'm all tuckered out after a long day of Cicada hunting. Driver, take me home please!





1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! He's so damn cute. I love bugs.