THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, August 24, 2007

We Survived!!!

Well, we were hit with the storm of the century out here, and it was really something. Tornadoes by day, and thunderstorms by night. I was actually in the basement with Finn Mei Tai'ed to me, wrapped in a blanket with shoes on and a flashlight and my cell phone in my pocket, and the dogs with me, all ready to hide in the bathroom when it hit. A funnel cloud took the roof off a building at Cicero and Sauk Trail (Laraway Rd), which is only about 3/4 mile from here, and it was black as night at 2 pm. Storms like this continued all day and night. Tom was trapped at work for hours and didn't get home until very late.

We had a lot of tree breakage, and large branches, and portions of trees in the road, but Matteson was great about getting road crews out right away to clear stuff up. Even the garbage men were loading branches into their trucks along their route! I must say, I was quite impressed, and we only lost power for a few moments. I guess I'll forgive them for not having animal control to help with the skunk problem. I guess they dump all the money saved from animal control into storm recovery units!!!

I saw some pictures of New Lenox on myspace, and it looks like they got hit A LOT harder than we did. The place is trashed. My mom is out of town and I am waiting to hear from my brother as to how he fared last night. I'm sure I would have heard from him if it was bad.

Throughout the night, however, we took on a lot of water. I'm not sure if the sump is overwhelmed, or broken, but I'm surprised because we have a battery backup attached to it for just such an event. Our backyard is flooded, too, though, so it could be that there is just no place for the water to go. Anyway, the carpet is trashed, and a lot of Pretzel's things got wet, but hopefully are not ruined. I'd say we had 1-2 inches. Thankfully, the rain did not continue today, as forcasted, because I'm afraid of where the water will go next!!!

I spent the morning cleaning out Pretzel's house as best i could with Finn with me. Then he came home from work at noon, and was soon joined by my SAINTLY brother in law and his girlfriend, who really saved the day. We had EVERYTHING up off the carpet and into the un-flooded kitchen within 40 minutes or so, and then Bob (who used to work for a carpet cleaner) pulled up portions of the carpet and put an air mover under there, as well as wet/dry vac'ing the corners and bathroom. All in all, I think we've lost the carpet and some drywall, some of the bathroom tiling, and maybe a sump, but thankfully nothing else. And I hope the homeowners insurance will pick those things up!

What a stressful morning, though! And of course this happens at the end of the month so Tom had to go in to work (unless you're dead, or really close to it, you don't miss the end of the month), and I was alone with Finn, trying to figure out what to do about all the chaos down there!!! I was not a happy camper. But all is well that ends well, I guess. I hope all of you fared ok, and you out-of-towners are lucky to have missed it!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

jeez that's really scary. hope you guys are all dried out by now.