THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

California

Well, we've just returned home from SoCal, where we were visiting Gram (Finn's Great-Grandma), Aunt Luanne (Auntie Bubbles), and the rest of the Sobieski crew (Jeffrey, Jason, and sans Adam). It was a short trip but was nice to get away, and the trip was relaxing and comfortable thanks to our gracious hosts!

It was Finn's first time meeting all of them, and he really enjoyed the attention. Gram loved him so much. She just wouldn't put him down. Oftentimes I had to argue with her when he needed to eat and the such, because she didn't want to give him up! I don't think she understood who he was, entirely, but at 94, you just can't be expected remember all the details! It was so good to see her, I have missed her terribly since she moved with Luanne, and I got such joy from seeing her with Finn!

The Sobs got a new dog, named Shamrock, who Finn also just adored. He was the sweetest puppy-- a labrad-oodle, and just as playful and cute as can be. In consistency with his dog obsession, Finn spent a lot of time checking out the pooch and what he was doing. I think Shammie liked him, as well.

We look forward to returning when he is a bit older to visit Legoland, Sea World, Disney, and several other family attractions that are all within an hour of the Sobieski's house in Carlsbad. I also want his cousins (well, my cousins) to teach him to surf, and boogie board, and jet ski on the ocean! Oh, how fun it will be!

On the growth front, Finn is teething. He really got hit hard with it on the trip, and spent a LOT of time just bellyaching and wailing. It was very hard to get him to sleep, and though I was having a blast, was glad to come home and hand him off to Tom at bedtime! He is a very crabby boy, and I hope those teeth come in soon!

The airplane rides were interesting. He was mostly good, though still fussy because his teeth were hurting, and his ears were popping. When you travel with an infant, they let you pre-board, which I did. Though, was dismayed when there were no flight attendants to help me secure him in his seat while the other passengers were flooding in. The car seat manual said the seat secures to a plane just like a car, but that is a lie!!! The planes have no latch system, and I had a hell of a time getting the seat un-stuck from the base because the airplane belts don't fit well. Oh well, the manual said the flight attendants would be able to help me, too. Wrong on all counts, but we managed to survive anyhow!

I bought him a seat (which was really pricey, and a rip off) because I was afraid to hold him in my lap for 4 hours. I wanted to have the space to spread out and let him sleep in his carseat if he needed to. I don't know that I would do that again, either-- though it would have been a really hard trip if I didn't at least have the extra seat for floor space to put his diaper bag and other items I needed at my disposal.

It was also an adventure getting through the airports with carseat, base, luggage, purse, and diaper bag. Thank God for Mom and Erin or I would have given up on the bus from the parking area! They were a great help both in the airports and on the plane, and I am very glad I went with them instead of braving it alone later this summer. I'm not sure I would have made it by myself!

And to top things off, the van battery was dead when we got to it after our flight! Thankfully, Tom had just bought me a battery charging kit that charges the battery in case of emergencies, and we were really only mildly inconvenienced, and back in the road in 15 minutes or so. So stressful! Good thinking, Tom! He really saved our butts.

0 comments: