THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, June 15, 2009

The new Mommy and Daddy

Finn recognizes people in pictures, and he has for some time now. He will now point out and name every person in the picture.

He's also started some 'social recognition', for lack of a better term. He sees things of different sizes, and tells me the big one is daddy, the medium one is mommy, and the small one is Finny. Then he makes them all kiss. It's quite funny.

I don't know where he learned it, since I am actually taller than Tom, and girth-wise, we're a close race. This is why I'm calling it social recognition. It's a normal thing, I suppose, but it illustrated to me how little control I have over how he's going to see gender identity and roles, and what a hard, long road it will be to raise an egalitarian, respectful young man.

I plan on talking to him, about the world and everything in it-- and I hope I can follow through as I plan to. But I'm no fool, and I know my words will only hold his audience for a short time-- then his own voice will be more important. This is the challenge before me, and some days it seems greater than others.

I'll try to stop getting ahead of myself now...

0 comments: